Pattern Hair loss, also known as An-dro-genic alopecia, can start at an early age in some populations due to a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors. It is a worrisome cause for those who deal with it. It has a negative impact on an individual’s self-esteem and confidence.
This blog post aims to provide comprehensive information on the major causes of hair loss. It also includes the amazing tips to prevent hair loss that are provided by our expert surgeon, Dr. Sumit Agrawal. Our head surgeon is widely known as the best hair transplant surgeon in Mumbai, India.
Factors Causing Hair Loss at Early Age
Firstly, it's important to understand the causes behind hair loss. Here are a few reasons why hair loss may occur at a younger age in certain individuals or populations:
1. Hereditary: Family history plays a significant role in hair loss. If your parents or grandparents experienced hair loss or baldness, you are more likely to inherit a genetic predisposition to it. This genetic susceptibility can lead to early-onset hair loss. The genetic exposure may vary among twins also so that siblings can have entirely different types of hair loss!
2. Hormonal Imbalances: Hormonal changes after puberty can also trigger hair loss in some individuals. An increase in body levels of hormones, particularly di-hydro-test-oste-rone (DHT), can influence hair loss. Some people may have a genetic sensitivity to DHT, which can cause hair follicles to shrink and eventually stop growing hair.
3. Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as PCOS or thyroid disorders, can lead to the start of hair loss at an early age. It's important to get it evaluated completely by a general physician or endocrinologist.
4. Stress/ Anxiety: High-stress levels can disrupt the hair growth cycle and lead to increased hair shedding. Because of stress or anxiety, more hair goes into the tel-og-en or shedding phase. For instance, long-standing stress because of examinations or relationships can contribute to hair loss.
5. Diet and Nutrition: Poor nutrition or dietary deficiencies can impact hair health. In younger populations, inadequate intake of essential nutrients and more junk food contribute to early hair loss. Crash dieting also causes lots of hair shedding.
6. Hairstyling and Practices: Excessive hairstyling, tight hairstyles (like braids or ponytails), or the use of harsh chemicals can damage hair and lead to breakage and thinning. Straightening or perming can damage the hair strands and make them dry & frizzy over a period of time.
7. Environmental Factors: Exposure to environmental pollutants, UV radiation, and harsh climates can also affect hair health. Hard water, extreme heat, and smoking are some of the uncommon causes in youngsters that make them more susceptible to hair loss.
Note: It's important to note that the onset and progression of hair loss can vary widely among individuals, and not everyone who experiences risk factors will necessarily develop early hair loss.
Prevention Tips by Expert for Hair Loss
Preventing hair loss at an early age involves adopting a combination of healthy lifestyle habits and proper hair care practices. Here are some tips to help you maintain healthy hair and reduce the risk of early hair loss:
1. Balanced Diet: Eat a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Essential nutrients like biotin, iron, zinc, and Vitamin D are crucial for healthy hair growth. Protein supplements are helpful, especially for vegetarians.
2. Scalp Care: Keep your scalp clean and healthy. Use a shampoo and conditioner suitable for your hair type twice a week. Avoid excessive washing or hot showers, as it can strip the scalp of natural oils. Swimmers can use mild paraben-free shampoo for more frequent hair wash.
3. Gentle Styling: Avoid tight hairstyles, frequent use of hair ties, and excessive heat styling (such as straightening or curling). These practices can damage hairs and lead to breakage. A mild hair blower can be used to dry hair after a shower.
4. Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Be cautious with chemical treatments like hair bleach, perming, and chemical straightening. These can weaken hair and make it more prone to damage. Hair colour or root touch-up can be done for greying with ammonia-free colours.
5. Stress Management: Practice stress-reduction techniques such as meditation, yoga, or exercise. Chronic stress can contribute to hair loss.
6. Adequate Sleep: Get enough restorative sleep of 7-8 hours daily. Lack of sleep can affect overall health, including hair health.
7. Stay Hydrated: Drink adequate water to keep your body and hair hydrated. Dehydration can lead to brittle hair.
8. Avoid Smoking and Excessive Alcohol: Both smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can negatively impact hair health. Quitting smoking can have a positive effect on your hair and overall well-being as nicotine shrinks the blood supply to hair follicles.
9. Limit Sun Exposure: Protect your hair from UV radiation by wearing a hat or using UV-protective products when spending time in the sun for extended periods.
10. Regular Exercise: Engage in regular physical activity to improve blood circulation, which can benefit the hair follicles. Cardio and stretching are good for scalp blood circulation. Shirshashan in yoga is proven to help in hair growth.
11. Consult a Professional: If you notice unusual hair loss or thinning at an early age, consult a hair specialist. You can book a consultation with our expert specialist, who provides effective hair loss treatment in Mumbai at Harleys Hair Transplant Clinic. The doctor performs an early diagnosis and intervention that helps manage and treat the underlying causes of hair loss.
12. Avoid Crash Diets: Rapid weight loss or extreme diets can lead to nutrient deficiencies that can affect hair health. Focus on gradual, sustainable weight loss if needed. Always take vitamin supplements and essential micronutrients during the weight loss journey.
Remember that some degree of hair loss is normal as people age, and genetics play a significant role. However, by adopting a healthy lifestyle and proper hair care practices, you can reduce the risk of experiencing significant hair loss at an early age. If you're concerned about hair loss at an early age, it's advisable to consult our expert hair surgeon, Dr. Sumit Agrawal. He is a leading surgeon known for providing the most effective and natural-looking hair transplant in India. At Harleys Hair Transplant Clinic, the expert doctor provides a proper diagnosis and recommends suitable treatments or lifestyle changes to address the issue.